Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Happy Christmas



A Christmas present to you: one of the best Christmas albums I have ever come across A Clancy Brothers Christmas. God knows why this is not in print! I cannot believe that it would not be immensely popular. The Clancy Brothers drift easily between drinking songs to songs about Our Blessed Mother, songs with hoots and hollers to songs sung in Latin (a sign of a well rounded culture as my friend pointed out).

Here are the lyrics to Christmas in Carrick courtesy of Recta Ratio

On the road the frost is glistening.
People stream from Midnight Mass.
Friendly candles glow in windows.
Strangers greet you as you pass.
Home then to the laden table;
Ham and goose and pints of beer,
Whisky handed 'round in tumblers,
Christmas comes but once a year!

Puddings made with eggs and treacle,
Seeded raisins and ground suet,
Sated breadcrumbs and mixed spices,
Grated rind and plenty fruit,
Cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg,
Porter, brandy, and old ale.
Don't forget the wine and whisky!
Christmas comes but once a year!

Women fussing in the kitchen,
Lay the food on every plate.
Men impatient in the hallway,
Guinness and porter while we wait.
Who cares if we work tomorrow?
Now's the time to spread good cheer!
Pass the punch around the table!
Christmas comes but once a year!

Click here for the download of the whole album

2 comments:

pbriggsiam said...

Hi there,

I've been listening to the Clancy Brothers all morning but don't have this album.

As a kid, I used to hear it all the time. My Dad, much to my Mom's chagrin, loved to play it at Christmas time.

Any chance you could repost this album? My email is pbriggs(at)greeneggsandham.org if you want to write me back.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Patrick

Chuck Fensch said...

One of my favorite albums for the past 35 years!

I think the lyrics are a little different at the end. I think what is actually sung is:

Women fussing in the kitchen,
Lay the food on every plate.
Men impatient in the hallway,
Gulpin’ porter while they wait.
Who cares if we’re poor tomorrow?
Now's the time to spread good cheer!
Pass the punch around the table!
Christmas comes but once a year!

I'm glad to have a copy of this fantastic album on CD, but my vinyl copy is still my favorite!